Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Milestone #1

The first ultrasound is tomorrow morning and I'm scared witless.  So many things to think about, yet so many things I have absolutely no control over.  Being a control freak, this poses big problems for me.

We may or may not see a heartbeat.  We may or may not hear a heartbeat.  At 7 weeks, it's an unknown.  But I do know that if there is a heartbeat and if everything measures correctly, we will have a 17% chance of miscarrying again, which is better odds than I began with.  That's because I have a history of miscarriage and I'm ancient, apparently.  For young lithe fertile women, chances drop to 3%.

The embryo should measure about 8mm at 7 weeks and be about the size of a blueberry.

If everything goes as planned, we'll be taking pictures of the ultrasound screen like Japanese tourists.

If not, I probably won't be posting for a while.  My head will be buried in a hole for about a week until I recover.  

No comments: