Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Doctor's Orders

Since I'm now petrified to move, use the bathroom, or uncross my legs, I asked my OBGYN for beta testing, which tests HcG (human growth hormone) and progesterone levels. My doctor promptly said no.

"It would not be helpful to do HCG levels or take progesterone. Would you like me to book you for an ultrasound appt? When was the first day of your last period?"

I wrote back and tried to get answers as to why beta testing wasn't a reasonable request.

"I believe I ovulated on the 25th. My last period was my miscarriage, which was on or around the 29th. I think I'm close to 4 weeks, but the fetus is probably only 2 weeks along.

So beta testing isn't helpful in seeing how the pregnancy progresses? I thought HcG levels were supposed to double or triple every day."

She wrote back with another vague answer.

"According to your dates, you will be 6 weeks on 12/23 and 7 wks on 12/30. I would recommend you have your appt the week of 12/29. Will you be off work that week? I could see you 12/31---would that work for you? If so, what time? HCG levels are not helpful unless we are concerned about ectopic pregnancy---in other words, even if they rise as they should, they do not assure us of a viable pregnancy."

I wrote back that I thought HcG levels were always used in fertility cases or cases of multiple miscarriages.

"I am curious about HCG levels, because I thought that they should be doubling, and if they are not, your pregnancy is most likely not going to be a viable one. I know my friend who is going through infertility issues at a fertility clinic has been tested every day since conception.

Sorry to be difficult, but I'm looking for either reassurance or a warning of impending miscarriage. The emotional toll of the last two were extremely hard to bear."

She wrote back and even more vague response.

"I understand your fears and am sorry. Having HCGs does not warn of impending miscarriage. Your friend is in a different situation. I will schedule you at 9am on 12/31 to see me and have an ultrasound."

So I did what any petulant child would do...I tattled on her to my general practitioner, whom I trust implicitly. She wrote me back the very next day and treated me just as a strict parent would a bratty child.

"The ultrasound is very sensitive and gives a lot of information that the BHCG by itself cannot. The blood test is cheaper and easy, but again cannot give you information about location, structure, heartbeat, etc. Dr. XXXX is also an excellent, nationally recognized OB./gyne (in fact, she is the doctor for doctors, meaning all of the pregnant doctors use her), so I would trust her judgement as she knows best. I know that having miscarriages is unnerving (as I've also had a few), but Dr. XXXX will only act in your utmost, best interest."


So now I wait. Three weeks seems like an eternity. Time, which once passed at the speed of a bullet train, has now slowed to an excruciating crawl. I whined about time, and wished for it to stop moving by me so quickly, I suppose. Irony at its worst. Be careful what you wish for, for you may surely get it.

No comments: