Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Heartbeat

We had our appointment first thing in the morning, and after emptying my bladder I was handed a robe and asked to wait for the doctor.  

The sonogram machine was prepped and ready to go, complete with KY on the tip of the "wand."  Suddenly, the nurse came in and STOLE OUR SONOGRAM MACHINE.  "I need this for a minute."  She said, and wheeled it out of our room.  I continued to sit bare-bottomed on the examination table, clicking my tongue and feeling like I may throw up at any given moment.  My nerves were giving me Hell, and I was getting pissed off at the nurse for prolonging my anxiety attack.

Finally, the doc came in and apologized for the wait.  She poked me with her fingers a little, and then unceremoniously inserted the KY wand.  

"Did you empty your bladder?  I see a lot of liquid here.  The shadows are making it hard to see...but there's the heartbeat!"

And there it was.  Flicker, flicker, flicker.  Plain as day.  Clear as can be.  The once-quiet husband suddenly perked up and said, "I see it!"

I looked over my spread eagle open legs and was so quiet the doctor asked if I could see everything.  I started to smile broadly, and audibly exhaled some stale air that I had been holding in my gut for weeks.

After measuring, it seemed we were off by two days.  The embryo is 6 weeks 6 days.  I tried obsessing over the days, but the doctor was strict and promptly told me to "cut it out."

Tough love doc then told us everything looked fine.  She'll see me in a few weeks.  Basically, it was the best Kaiser visit ever.  

Now we're off to Costco to buy more photo supplies.  It's the first picture we have of the blueberry and we're running out of printer ink.

No comments: