Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

No Slack is Given

We risked the Tut curse yesterday and went to the King Tut exhibit. It was amazing, although I had to sit every five to ten minutes. My feet began throbbing after standing for too long, and I thought my knees would give out under the new weight of my belly. This baby is truly testing my leg muscles.

I've noticed that people cut pregnant women very little slack, even ones in their 8th month like me. I saw occupied benches, and took to standing inches away from the seated people, longingly staring at them while looking like I was going to drop to the floor on my knees...no one moved. I finally told a young woman to MOVE BEFORE I SAT ON HER AND CRUSHED HER TO DEATH. She complied, and rather quickly.

Other annoyances with being in large crowds of people: Grandmas. Sorry, grandmas, but the staring and the weird magnetic pull you feel towards my belly is creepy. And the comments are even worse. One septuagenarian stared for a good two minutes, and then finally approached me with this dramatic and obnoxious comment: "WOW. WOW. HOW far along are you? WOW!"

She might as well have said, "YOU ARE MONSTROUSLY HUGE. I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I AM SEEING. CAN I TAKE A PICTURE?"

It was not a pleasant moment, considering her stupid sentence was not followed by the appropriate, "You look wonderful. You must be thrilled."

I hate people.

No comments: