Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

I hate you, Braxton Hicks

I hate you, Braxton Hicks contractions. You give me heart palpitations every time. And you're NOT painless, which you're supposed to be, you stupid fake contractions.

Braxton Hicks are supposed to be sporadic uterine contractions that can start as early as 6 weeks into your pregnancy, although you don't feel anything that early on. However, when you're in my state, around 33 weeks, you DO feel them. And they feel like something stretching, pushing, and cramping in your lower uterus. Basically, if you're me and have no experience with 3rd trimester pregnancy, you think "HOLY CRAP, I'M IN LABOR." You panic. You freak out.

Of course after some irresponsible Googling, I found that if you don't have them that often, and if they're infrequent, you're basically ok. More than four of these suckers an hour, and you may need to see your doc.

I'm trying all the remedies to try to ease the discomfort of the BH contractions, such as drinking a lot of water (dehydration causes BH), deep breathing. Baths are also recommended.
Eating s'mores is not on the list, but I find they help me tremendously. FYI.

No comments: