Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Wrinkle In Time

Seeing the date of my last post has made me realize how time has mysteriously disappeared in the blink of an eye.  It seems like yesterday I typed on this computer, and now it's December.  I'm losing my ability to appreciate the minutes passing by and the seconds ticking away.  Time is the enemy...it is quickly making my baby into a toddler.

Getting used to the new addition has not been an easy transition.  Sleep has been hard to come by lately, since he hit the three month mark.  He has stopped sleeping through the night and now wakes every two to three hours to feed, be changed, or to cuddle.  This can be attributed to the three month growth spurt he was scheduled to have, but I believe it's also what is known as sleep regression.  His brain is simply too active to shut down at night, causing him to wake up to learn and grow.

Since my husband is awesome, he has taken the night shift since birth.  I have been able to sleep fairly well, even if it's not the deep REM sleep I crave.  Without sleep, I fear, I would be a monster during the day.  Depression without sleep is a scary thing.  My husband is understanding of this fact and takes on the task of night feedings without question.  He's a great father, and always says he loves the time he can spend with his baby son, even if he's bleary-eyed by morning.

I believe I am getting used to the routine of motherhood, although some days, like today, I feel like I'm burnt out and tired of the monotony.  The baby is pure light and love, no doubt.  But I am occasionally overwhelmed by the huge changes and want to run away from it all.  My husband doesn't seem to understand how it affects me adversely to be with our son all day long, all week long.  He goes to work, and although he works hard he also gets breaks, has peers to talk to, has mini-escapes.  I am confined to the baby, and that's the entirety of my day.

In other news, I have lost all the baby weight.  However this does not mean I have gained back any of the muscle tone.  If I suck in my gut 24/7, I can fit into my jeans again.  However, as soon as I take a breath, I look like the before picture in a Weight Watcher's ad.

My hair is also falling out in fistfuls, but so is the baby's.  By the end of the year, we'll both require comb-overs.

No comments: