Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Less a Woman?

I had a nagging doubt all weekend and the dreaded "What If's?" kept creeping back.  What if I can't have children?  What if I have Celiac's Disease and that's why I keep miscarrying?  What if it's all my fault?  Did I do too much acupuncture?  What if my husband leaves me for a fertile woman?

That last one was painful to imagine.  The man I have been with for ten years wants a baby that looks like him.  What if I can't give it to him?  Will he leave me for someone who can?  A younger woman would be more fertile, right?  What if he finds someone who has great eggs and is under the age of 35?

So, like a woman coming off of the HcG hormones, I blurted it out in a rage of hyperventilation and tears.  "ARE YOU GOING TO LEAVE ME BECAUSE I CAN'T STAY PREGNANT?!"

With nary a pause, he looked at me with a crinkled nose and said matter-of-factly, "Why would I do that?  You are my  happiness."

Husbands.  Can't live without them.  Period.

No comments: