Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I've Got a Bad Case of OLD

The follow up visit to the doctor's office post-miscarriage wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, although I wept silently throughout the entire thing. I thought we would have to fight for fertility testing, because all the hubub begins after your THIRD miscarriage, which officially puts you in the "recurrent miscarriage" arena. That is the arena you do not want to be flirting with. It's a bad, bad arena.

So the testing begins when my cycle arrives. They range from hormone testing to sticking dye in my cervix testing. Neither sounds good, but I'm not complaining...yet.

The tests I'll be taking in two weeks are as follows:

Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)
HSG is an x-ray procedure to view the inside shape of the uterus and fallopian tubes. This shows whether the tubes aqre open or damaged, and whether the uterine cavity is normal. Problems in these areas may make it difficult to become pregnant.

Estradiol
The estradiol test can determine the quality and quantity of your eggs. Levels on the lower end tend to be better for stimulating eggs. Abnormally high levels on day 3 of your cycle may indicate existence of a functional cyst or diminished ovarian reserve. On an LH surge, the levels should be 200-600 per mature (18 mm) follicle.

Prolactin
Increased prolactin levels can interfere with ovulation. They may also indicate further testing (MRI) should be done to check for a pituitary tumor. Some women with PCOS also have hyperprolactinemia.

Factor 5 Leiden
This is a coagulation disorder that can have serious implications on pregnancy and fertility. Factor 5 Leiden is a common thrombophilic mutation. The live birth rate is significantly lower amongst women with a history of recurrent early miscarriage who carried the Facor 5 Leiden allele compared with those with a normal Factor 5 genotype.

Homocysteine, Plasma
Elevated blood levels of homocysteine (a sulfur-containing amino acid) has been linked to a significantly higher risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke and heart attacks, and has also been implicated in Raynaud's phenomenon. Researchers at the universities in Bergen and Oslo now report that high homocysteine levels increase the risk of pregnancy complications and infant abnormalities. The researchers found that women with the highest levels of homocysteine (greater than 10.7 micromol/L) had an adjusted risk for preeclampsia (pregnancy-related hypertension) which was 38 percent higher than the risk among the women with the lowest levels of homocysteine (3.6-7.5 micromol/L).

Fasting Glucose
A healthy fasting glucose level is between 70-90, but up to 110 is within normal limits. A level of 111-125 indicates impaired glucose tolerance/insulin resistance. A fasting level of 126+ indicates type II diabetes.

Progesterone
On day 3 of your cycle, or the follicular phase level, an elevated level may indicate a lower pregnancy rate. At 7 dpo, a progesterone test is done to confirm ovulation. When a follicle releases its egg, it becomes what is called a corpus luteum and produces progesterone. A level over 5 probably indicates some form of ovulation, but most doctors want to see a level over 10 on natural cycles. There is no mid-luteal level that predicts pregnancy. Some say the test may be more accurate if done first thing in the morning after fasting.


The doctor said, "I'm hoping the tests show that you're perfectly fine. Miscarriages happen often, and it's usually because of a defective chromosome. The good news is that you're getting pregnant easily."

"I'm old." I said. "I feel like everyone is telling me that it's too late."

"Who said that?! I know I didn't say that!" She sparked up defensively.

I felt like poking her with a stick and yelling, "YOU TOLD ME ABOUT TEN TIMES THAT I WAS OLDER AND MY EGGS WERE OLDER, TOO. YOU TOLD ME I HAD A HIGHER RISK OF HAVING ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS CONCEIVING AND WITH MY BABY. AARRRGHGHHGGGG!!!"

But I didn't. I know why she told me that stuff...because it's all true. And yes, I am old to be trying. I'm old and I'm tired...but I I am not done yet. Rocky fought into his sixties, dammit.

No comments: