Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

CVS Testing and the Suckiness of It All

We bit the bullet and went in for CVS testing.  All of you who said it wouldn't hurt, and "Oh, it's a bit uncomfortable" can just stop with the pussy-footing.  It DID hurt.  It hurt like a mother.  I can't believe how big the needle was and WHERE IT WENT.

Not only was the needle huge, it was inserted abdominally, which means it went through my skin to the uterus, which had to be punctured with a fairly intense push.  The technician explained how she had to move the needle back and forth to get a good sample, otherwise she risked having to do the test again, which was unacceptable to everyone involved.  In other words, I was not the best patient they had ever had.

Luckily, the technicians were very good, very comforting, and knowledgeable.  Unfortunately, I was a big wuss and nearly hyperventilated.  The technician was so concerned about my anxiety level, she had me sit for a good ten minutes after the procedure.  I was even offered a juice box.

And now, the wait.  The horrible wait, which seems to come with fertility and pregnancy after a "certain age."  It's ironic I am made to wait with such terrible anticipation now when all throughout my teens I was obsessed with growing up faster.  I was a stupid, stupid teenager.  But being a smart forty-something has not been any easier than puberty.

No comments: